What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers are used to help you achieve a healthy smile. They are popular among people who either have chipped teeth, gaps between teeth, or have misshapen and misaligned teeth. These are thin covers that give your teeth the right shape. However, if you are planning on getting dental veneers in Canberra, here are a few things that you should know before opting for it.
- You must have healthy teeth and gums if you want to use dental veneers. Your dentist would first treat any teeth decay or disease, before placing veneers.
- Veneers aren’t a good option for people who clench or grind their teeth, as veneers are thin films and thus, always run the risk of getting damaged. So, if you grind or clench your teeth, the dentist would tell you to use a plastic dental night guard while sleeping.
- The dentist would remove a bit of the tooth enamel for the veneers, and the process cannot be undone.
- The dental veneers may come loose over time. In that case, you would need new ones to get the look you so desire.
- As with most other things under dental care, discuss your expectations from the treatment with your dentist. You would also need periodic dental appointments to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Avoid biting your fingernails or chewing on hard objects, such as pencils or ice cubes, as veneers can chip under pressure.
- You would need a few days to adjust to the feel of the dental veneers. However, do let your dentist know if your bite does not feel right.
- In spite of using dental veneers, you would still need to brush and floss every day to keep your teeth and gums clean. If you don’t take care of the veneers or your teeth, you may get cavities under or around the veneers.
5 benefits of opting for dental veneers in Canberra
- Veneers are great for cosmetic repairs of teeth: Dental veneers are generally medical-grade porcelain, fixed on the front of the teeth. They’re custom made for each individual and thus are great for those looking for a great smile. For those who do not know, veneers look just like any tooth and don’t stain easily. Thus, these are great for those looking to fix any major cosmetic issue with their teeth.
- Offer a natural appearance: The process of dental restoration usually takes more than one appointment, but the end result looks surprisingly natural. During the first appointment, your dentist would take an impression of your teeth to get the veneers manufactured. The lab makes sure that the veneers match the color of the tooth enamel and meets the contour of the teeth. When the veneers are ready, your dentist would sculpt each overlay precisely so that it creates a natural-looking smile.
- A minimal invasive procedure: Getting dental veneers in Canberra is a lot less invasive procedure than some of the other dental procedures. The dentist would only remove about 0.5 mm of the teeth enamel, which is far less than what gets removed if you were getting a crown. It is such a simple process that people often do not need any anesthesia, and the best part is that the results are immediately visible.
- A quick cosmetic fix: Dental veneers can be life-changing for those not satisfied with the looks of their teeth. It is a great way of addressing problems like chipped teeth, missing teeth, stained or discolored teeth, misshapen teeth, and gaps between teeth. While braces or other similar orthodontic treatments are a great way of treating gaps between teeth, some people prefer opting for dental veneers.
- A worthwhile investment: Most individuals who opt for dental veneers consider it a great cosmetic investment and a complete value for money procedure. Porcelain veneers serve a great purpose whether as an orthodontic camouflage or as teeth enamel replacement. Even though veneers aren’t as cheap as some of the other dental treatments, individuals love the boost in self-confidence because of using these. The fact that these are long-lasting and easy to maintain, is what makes them all the more popular.
For some individuals, chipped and discolored teeth negatively affect their self-esteem or lower their self-confidence. This is where dental veneers come in handy – custom shells placed on the front of the teeth to improve the overall appearance. However, if you’re confused about the process and not sure whether it would be of help to you, consult a good and reliable dentist who has already helped hundreds with the same treatment. He or she would be able to guide you according to your budget, needs, and preferences.